Upcoming in Kansas City, Mo.
Volunteer Collaborations to improve the Missouri River
Presentation by Vicki Richmond, Healthy Rivers Partership
Just as rain drops combine to make a storm, efforts to improve our rivers combine to make a flood of difference.
What are volunteers doing and how effective is it?
Time and Place
Tuesday, March 22, 2016
Westport CoffeeHouse Theater
View on map
Presentation by Vicki Richmond, Healthy Rivers Partnership
Tuesday, March 22, 2016
Where – Westport Coffeehouse Theater – 4010 Pennsylvania Ave. Kansas City, MO
6 p.m. – Social Hour
7 p.m. – Presentation. Presentation will be filmed – After 7 PM, Please enter through Green Room Burgers
Presentation is FREE and open to the public!
Learn how efforts in Kansas City combine to improve water quality and public awareness.
Vicki Richmond, Executive Director
of Healthy Rivers PartnershipHealthy Rivers Partnership is a not-for-profit professional and naturalist, working as an advocate on river issues for more than 20 years. Her projects include riparian restoration, water quality monitoring, river cleanups, events and festivals. Her work on the Blue River and Missouri River has gained international recognition.Growing up around rivers, streams and lakes, Vicki identifies her childhood as that of a “water baby”. Now, an expert on Kansas City’s rivers, she is an active participant at the community level who draws on a large network of resources and partners. She currently serves on the KC RiverTrails Board, Kansas City Port Authority Commission and the Missouri River Recovery Implementation Committee.Vicki’s projects include: MR340, RiverFest for Kansas City, MO River Clean-ups, and River Otter Day and Project Blue River Rescue.
Westport CoffeeHouse – 4010 Pennsylvania Kansas City, Mo – www.westportcoffeehouse.com
The Westport CoffeeHouse is in the Westport entertainment area, midtown KC, south of downtown and north of the Plaza. The main intersection is Westport Rd and Broadway. From this intersection, go west on Westport Rd one block to Pennsylvania. Turn north (right).
OR you can get there from the intersection of Southwest Trafficway and Westport Rd. Go east on Westport Rd to Pennsylvania. Turn north (left).
Westport Coffee House is approximately one block down on the west side of Pennsylvania. Parking can be had either south of the coffee house in the large parking lot or just north of the coffee house alongside the building. Enter through Green Room Burgers or Westport CoffeeHouse.
Resources & Links
More about Vicki Richmond’s work on our region’s rivers.
- Healthy Rivers Partnership website
- “Missouri River fans foresee a new day for the Big Muddy” – by Rick Montgomery, Kansas City Star, May 9, 2015
- “Students learn benefits of clean river” – Independence Examiner, June 25, 2014
- “Creative Co-Lab” – Shawnee Mission East Harbinger Online, 2016
- “How 1,000 volunteers save the Blue River from itself every year” by Tina Casagrand, Missouri Stream Team Watershed Coalition.
- “Safety boat captains serve in the MR340 for the love of the river and a challenge” by Crystal Thomas, Kansas City Star, August 12, 2014
- “Kansas City River Advocate wins International Clearwater Award” – MO. Dept. of Conservation, Dec. 10, 2010.
- VIDEO “Big Muddy” featuring Vicki Richmond. By John Beatty.
The Big Muddy Speakers Series in Kansas City
is hosted by these wonderful partners!
- Little Blue River Watershed Coalition
- Friends of Lakeside Nature Center
- Missouri River Relief
- Healthy Rivers Partnership
- Kansas City Digital Video
Thanks to all of our venue hosts for making this possible! Click here for a list of upcoming presentations» The Big Muddy Speaker Series is also held monthly in Rocheport and St. Charles.
Recordings of Presentations
Kansas City Digital Video has been recording Big Muddy Speaker Series presentations. These are available on their website at this link. Some contain synchronized powerpoint presentations. We will be posting these to the archived presentation pages on bigmuddyspeakers.org. Thanks Micheal Morgan and crew for putting this important archive online!