Upcoming in Rocheport, Mo.
Inside the Missouri River 340
Presentation by MR340 Organizer, Scott Mansker
Scott will share the behind-the-scenes story of the world’s longest non-stop river paddling race, the MR340. He’ll be joined by some veteran paddlers to answer all of your race questions.
Time and Place
Tuesday, January 8, 2019
Les Bourgeois Vineyards Bistro
View on map
Presentation by paddler and MR340 organizer Scott Mansker
Tuesday, January 8, 2018
- 7 p.m. presentation (6 p.m. Social Hour)
- Les Bourgeois Vineyards Bistro in Rocheport, MO
- Google Map – Directions Below
The Bistro Restaurant is now closed on Tuesday, but the bar will be open. You ARE welcome to come early, bring some food and gather with friends before the presentation. Speaker Series attendees are welcome after 5 p.m.
Hosted by Missouri River Relief
The Missouri River 340 is the world’s longest non-stop river race and is listed as one of National Geographic’s Top 100 American Adventures. Starting in 2006, it has brought racers from England, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia and Denmark to come and race our river. The course spans the state of Missouri, 340 miles from Kansas City to St. Charles. Racers paddle day and night to finally reach the beach in St. Charles and say they did it! Come hear some stories about how this crazy thing got started and meet some of the paddlers who have done it a time or two.
Scott is one of the founders of Rivermiles, the folks that organize the Missouri River. He has been paddling on the Missouri River since 1989. Scott is also a high school teacher. He is a co-founder of BigMAP (Big Muddy Advocacy Partners) and also co-produced the “Rivermiles” PBS documentary series.
- 14020 W. Hwy BB, Rocheport, MO
- Take I-70 to the Rocheport, MO, exit (Exit #115). It’s the first exit east of the Missouri River.
- Head north toward Rocheport.
- After about a mile, turn left at the sign for Les Bourgeois Bistro. Follow the signs to the Bistro. You will probably need to park in the lot above the Bistro and walk the trail down.
- The presentations are held in upstairs in the restaurant. The restaurant is no longer open on Tuesdays but the bar is! You are welcome to bring your own food or snacks.
Resources and Links
Dig deeper for more info on this topic:
- Rivermiles website
- MR340 Forum, with many years of experts sharing info on the race and the river.
- MR340 Facebook Group
- Missouri River Relief’s MR340 Resource Page – An archive of links, articles, info, photos and more.
- BOOK – “MR340 First Time Finisher” – a guide to planning your first race
- VIDEOS – MR340 You Tube Channel – Veteran Paddler Christopher Luedke’s amazing collection of How To videos on the race.
- 2018 Race Dispatches – eye-opening paddler’s guide to doing this race
- Select MR340 Videos
- ARTICLE – “Finding Flow on the Mighty MO” – by Brett Dufur, June 17, 2013, Missouri Conservationist
- VIDEO – “Floating Dreams” by Paul Jackson
The Big Muddy Speaker Series in Rocheport
is hosted by these wonderful partners.
Special thanks to Les Bourgeois Vineyards for giving us the opportunity to use their beautiful space overlooking the Missouri River. All speakers are presenting for free! Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with us!
The Big Muddy Speaker Series also takes place monthly in Kansas City and St. Charles.
The views and opinions expressed by our presenters do not necessarily reflect the view or policies of Missouri River Relief, the Big Muddy Speaker Series or any of the partners that support this public forum. The Big Muddy Speaker Series believes that hearing diverse perspectives is a crucial building block for an informed public.