Upcoming in St. Charles, Mo.
Connecting the River Ring in the Great Rivers Greenway
presentation by Greg Brumitt, Great Rivers Greenway
Great Rivers Greenway funded projects have created bike and pedestrian friendly trail connections throughout the St. Louis area with a long-term plan for more than 600 miles of connected greenways. Greg Brumitt will join us to share some of GRG’s successes, current projects and plans to engage the public in this growing resource throughout the area.
Time and Place
Wednesday, September 10, 2014
Big A's on the Riverfront
View on map
Presentation by Greg Brumitt, Director of Conservation and Community Service for Great Rivers Greenway
Wednesday, Sept. 10, 2014
4:30 p.m. Free Paddle trip with Big Muddy Adventures! (details below)
6. p.m. Meet at Big A’s Restaurant
6:30 p.m. Presentation
At Big A’s Restaurant
308 N Main St. – St Charles, MO
Presentation is FREE and open to the public!
In 2000, the Great Rivers Greenway began its mission of creating a connected and healthy St. Louis Region. GRG funded projects have created bike and pedestrian friendly trail connections throughout the St. Louis area with a long-term plan for more than 600 miles of connected greenways. GRG describes greenways as “parks that take you somewhere”.
One of the highlights of this plan is the River Ring – utilizing the region’s network of river valleys to connect all parts of the city. Putting our rivers back into the forefront of planning and transportation! Greg Brumitt will join us to share some of the River Ring successes, current projects and plans to engage the public in this growing resource throughout the area.
Free Paddle Trip with Big Muddy Adventures!
Join expert Missouri River guide Mike Clark of Big Muddy Adventures before the presentation for a up and downstream paddle through downtown St. Charles on the Junebug canoe. Space is limited – PLEASE REGISTER on the Greenway Network website.
Here’s the link to register – fill out your name and the month you want to join the paddle trip: http://www.greenwaynetwork.org/get-involved/big-muddy-paddler-registration.php .
This opportunity brought to you by the generosity of Greenway Network and Big Muddy Adventures.
Meet by the river behind Big A’s at 4:30. You’ll be back by 6 p.m.
To Big A’s on the Riverfront, our host for the Speaker Series.
To get there from I-70
- Take I-70 to exit 229B – the 5th St. Exit
- Merge onto 5th St. headed north toward St. Charles.
- After about 1 mile, turn right on Monroe St.
- Turn left onto N. Main St.
- Big A’s will be on your right (308 N. Main St.) Additional parking is available in the rear.
- View on Google Maps.
Resources and Links
- Great Rivers Greenway website
- GRG on Facebook
- GRB blog “Connecting STL”
- Bike St. Louis
- Interactive map of River Ring plan
- State of the River Ring progress (pdf)
- “What is the Great Rivers Greenway?” – explanation in St. Louis Beacon
- Five Questions with GRG Director Susan Trautman – St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- “Economic Benefits of Trails” – American Trails
- “The Power of Trails” – Active Living Research (pdf)
- Parks and Recreation in Underserved Areas (pdf)
The Big Muddy Speakers Series in St. Charles
is hosted by these wonderful partners:
- Greenway Network
- Missouri River Relief
- Friends of Big Muddy
- Big Muddy Adventures
- Big Muddy National Fish & Wildlife Refuge
- Big A’s Restaurant
All speakers are presenting for free and Big A’s is sharing the space for free! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us!