The People’s Expedition: Love Your Big Muddy
Published: March 12, 2014
Presentation by expedition paddler, Janet Moreland
This presentation was originally given on –
- Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at Les Bourgeois Bistro in Rocheport (200 attendees – our largest ever)
- And Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at Big A’s Restaurant in St. Charles.
In April, 2013, Janet Moreland and her friend Norman Miller skied up to Brower’s Spring, the ultimate source of the Missouri River near the Continental Divide in Montana. From there, she biked 100 miles to Clark Canyon Dam, where she put in her kayak and paddled all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. She finished her journey on Dec. 5, passing through the container ship-filled Head of Passes in a soupy fog. She was the first American, and the first woman, to complete this “Source to Sea” trip. It is called the “Love Your Big Muddy Expedition”.
Every step of the way, she shared her thoughts, beautiful river photos and stories of new friends met on the riverbank through her Facebook page. The journey was a huge inspiration to the thousands who “followed” her online. In a world where rivers are political battlegrounds, her adventure was a bright beacon of cooperation and positivity. The expedition was mostly “crowdfunded”, supported by the people who followed her journey online and at boat ramps across the Great Plains, Midwest and the Delta. Janet referred to it as the “People’s Expedition”.
Janet shared some of her stories, videos, photos and inspiration from this historic adventure.
- From her first day on the river to the last, American White Pelicans
were Janet’s companions on the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers.
photo courtesy of Janet Moreland.
' ', ) ); */?>
Resources and Links
- Janet’s blog
- Janet’s Facebook Page (where her most consistent updates are)
- Our September interview with Janet, including links to many media stories on her journey.
- Donate to the Love Your Big Muddy Expedition.
- Video of Janet’s toast to her supporters in the saltwater of the Gulf of Mexico
- Columbia Tribune Article – “Kayaker completes source to sea journey on Missouri River” Dec. 6, 2013
- Columbia Missourian Article – “Local Kayaker Janet Moreland completes trip from Montana to Gulf of Mexico” – Dec. 5, 2013
The Big Muddy Speakers Series in St. Charles
is hosted by these wonderful partners:
- Greenway Network
- Missouri River Relief
- Friends of Big Muddy
- Big Muddy Adventures
- Big Muddy National Fish & Wildlife Refuge
- Big A’s Restaurant
All speakers are presenting for free and Big A’s is sharing the space for free! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us!