Floodplains and Landfills Don’t Mix
Published: January 25, 2014
Presentation by Patricia Schuba of Labadie Environmental Organization and Ed Smith of Missouri Coalition for the Environment
Schuba and Smith discussed several regional issues related to storage of hazardous waste in the floodplain of the Missouri River, including the West Lake Landfill in Bridgeton and the Labadie Power Plant farther upstream.
- A packed house of citizens attending an EPA public meeting on the West Lake landfill.
Ed Smith, Safe Energy Director at Missouri Coalition for the Environment gave the history and latest updates to the ongoing story of a smoldering “fire” at the West Lake Landfill across the river from St. Charles. The landfill is adjacent to a dump of radioactive waste, causing fears of further contamination amongst area residents.
Patricia Schuba, Executive Director of Labadie Environmental Organization, discussed Ameren’s plans to build a coal ash landfill in the floodway of the Labadie Bottoms, upstream of St. Louis on the Missouri River. She focused on the toxicity of this unregulated hazardous waste product.
' ', ) ); */?>
The Big Muddy Speakers Series in St. Charles
is hosted by these wonderful partners:
- Greenway Network
- Missouri River Relief
- Friends of Big Muddy
- Big Muddy Adventures
- Big Muddy National Fish & Wildlife Refuge
- Big A’s Restaurant
All speakers are presenting for free and Big A’s is sharing the space for free! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us!
Resources and Links
Related to Bridgeton Landfill
- Missouri Coalition for the Environment Safe Energy Program
- St. Louis Radiation Waste Legacy – a community group website
- US EPA information page
- MO DNR information page
- “Environmentalists criticize EPA’s Bridgeton Landfill tests” – January 29, 2014, article in St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- “Neighbors fume at radioactive dump” – Dec. 29, 2013 article in Wall Street Journal
- “EPA prepares for more testing at Bridgeton landfill” – Jan. 9, 2014 article in St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- “Nuclear critic urges removal of radioactive waste at West Lake Landfill” – Nov. 21, 2013 article in St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Related to Labadie Coal Ash Landfill
- Labadie Environmental Organization (LEO) website
- LEO on Facebook
- “Proposed Coal Ash Landfill Delayed” – Washington Missourian, Nov. 2, 2013
- “Ameren: Report refutes “unsubstantiated claims” – Washington Missourian, Jan. 25, 2014
- “Group files appeal over coal ash landfill” – Washington Missourian, Jan. 11, 2014
- “Five years after TVA, Missouri faces own impending coal ash disaster” – Opinion, Jan. 8, 2014 – St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- “Concrete reasons not to fear coal ash landfills” – Opinion (rebuttal to above opinion piece written by Ameren executive vice president) – Jan. 15, 2014 – St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Patricia’s Recommended Reading
We asked Patricia for her suggestions to read up on coal ash issues. Here’s her top 3:
- Physicians for Social Responsibility Report: “Coal Ash, the Toxic Threat to our Health and Environment”
- Earthjustice Report: “State of Failure”
- VIDEO: “180 seconds of Coal Ash”