The River is Falling! Missouri River Bed Degradation
Published: June 13, 2012
Original Presentation- June 13, 2012 Big Muddy Speaker Series – Kansas City 2012
“The River is Falling! Missouri River Bed Degradation” by Brian Kelly, hydrologist with US Geological Survey.
The bed of the Missouri River in Kansas City has dropped by more than 10 feet since the 1950’s. Channelization, loss of sediment and dredging are a few of the important reasons behind the Missouri River bed degrading in places like Kansas City.
Brian Kelly, a hydrologist from the US Geological Survey Missouri Water Science Center, shared more of the causes and problems associated with degradation.
- Presentation flier (pdf)»
- Homepage for Missouri River Bed Degradation Study (Mid-America Regional Council)»
- Final Report on Missouri River Bed Degradation Reconnaissance Study (US Army Corps of Engineers, 2009 – pdf)»
- Missouri Water Science Center (USGS) homepage»
The Big Muddy Speakers Series in Kansas City
is hosted by these wonderful partners!
- Little Blue River Watershed Coalition
- Friends of Lakeside Nature Center
- Missouri River Relief
- Healthy Rivers Partnership
- Friends of Big Muddy
- Big Muddy National Fish & Wildlife Refuge
- Kansas City Digital Video
Thanks to all of our venue hosts for making this possible! Click here for a list of upcoming presentations» The Big Muddy Speaker Series is also held monthly in Rocheport and St. Charles.
Recordings of Presentations
Kansas City Digital Video has been recording Big Muddy Speaker Series presentations. These are available on their website at this link. Some contain synchronized powerpoint presentations. We will be posting these to the archived presentation pages on bigmuddyspeakers.org. Thanks Micheal Morgan and crew for putting this important archive online! The Big Muddy Speaker Series is partially funded by the Columbia Ecological Services Field Office (USFWS) and the Mo. Dept. of Conservation.